Time Check:

Sunday, July 13, 2008

My days in Shillong


"I dreamt I went to Manderly again."----The opening line of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca is so hauntingly nostalgic; it reminds me of my school days in Shillong. Don Bosco Square....Gosh......! It was the most happening place on earth. Six schools merged at one place--Don Bosco Square. Margaret’s (mine), Mary's, Edmunds (gosh the guys...!!!), Anthony's and a little further on Peter's and LC(guys always fell for them...!). Ahh those Edmund's concerts which today I remember as so very English, those inter-school games when we got to see good looking guys and have the best chowmein in the world, the Garrison Ground fetes, the occasional visits to Abba, the Saturday/Sunday morning walks, the bright sun, the gentle breeze and a perfect state of mind. Above it all the place where I stayed...Greenfields. I have spent the best years of my life there. I see Mary creeping out like a worm from under my arms when I am trying to do some last minute studies while she did hers in the toilet, the nights we spent on warming our coffees under our study lamps, the nights when it rained and we in our dormitory stuck out our hands and feet from the windows, the nights when we had khaini....Things always happened at night for fear of being caught except on one occasion. That was the day when we had waved at a couple of guys from our dorm. Uncle caught us. Unacceptable behaviour from a very respectable privately-run hostel. Nothing much happened except a very good scolding and a warning. Oh yes how could I forget the penguins--twin brothers who looked like keanu reaves. We kept running from this window to that trying to see BIRDS as we called them. Oh yes and our little shopping days with just a 100 bucks in hand was so much fun... That was my blissful happy world and today when the days are no more they are still an inspiration to stay happy.

1 comment:

Fardeen said...

'brilliant' is what ur writing demands as a comment!